Thursday, May 13, 2010

she *might* not lose them in the ocean like her Pap does

I mentioned last week that we found out that Julianna was going to need to get glasses.  Here's the story.

Two weeks ago I took both kids to the pediatrician for well check-ups.  Josh was seen for his six month visit and Julianna for her four year old visit. As expected, both kids did really well and we really have no concerns to worry about.

Josh got his six month shots and he cried a little, but it wasn't too bad.  He weighed 19 pounds 4 ounces 75th percentile) and was 27 inches long (90th percentile).  The doctor seemed pleased with his overall development (sitting, rolling both ways, eating well, etc) although when I told her about how he's gone back to waking all night long she was discouraged.  She said that he should be going at least one 7-8 hour stretch each night.  He used to do that but not anymore.  I've got to figure that out.  Besides, I'm tired of being a human pacifier.

Julianna is still WAY above the 97th percentile for height (she's 44 inches tall!) and she's just under the 95th percentile for weight (44 pounds) for four year olds.  They checked her hearing and her vision and referred us to an ophthalmologist.  She got all of her 4/5 year old shots which she took like a champ; she peed in a cup so they could check her urine.  She only flinched at the finger prick. She had a large knot on her upper arm for four days as a result of one of the vaccinations.  Poor thing.

The ped and I also discussed early entrance for Jules for kindergarten which is why she went ahead and got her shots.  I feel like this goes without saying, but I really respect our pediatrician's opinion and it was good to hear her talk about the pros and cons of early kindergarten.  I still have a full post brewing on that matter, but I don't have time to get it all down right now.

So anyway, back to the glasses.  Last week Julianna went to the actual eye doctor to get her eyes checked and it turns out that her vision isn't too terrible.  (We expected it to be since both Jonathan and I had horrible vision before we had LASIK done. She has 20/30 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.)  She does however, have a pretty bad astigmatism and the doctor was concerned that if she didn't get glasses to force her body to use both eyes then she would gradually lose sight in that eye.  The glasses will train her brain to use both eyes instead of just the good one.  We are to encourage her to wear them only when she's doing up close work like those workbooks that she loves. 

The worst part of the visit was having to have her eyes dilated and waiting for the drops to take affect.  Jonathan has a hilarious video of her falling asleep in the waiting room.  She loved the temporary sunglasses that they gave her to wear home, but the crazy thing was that her eyes were still fully dilated after 36 hours.  When I called they said that was normal for kids her age.



She picked out a pair of glasses that she liked (pink Nine West ones) and we ordered them right away.  They came in on Tuesday and I think she looks precious in them.  I am actually excited about the opportunity to teach her responsibility.  Here's a before and after picture in the doctor's office.  Pardon her hair. She took her braid down while we were waiting and she's got the hair frizzies.







What do you think?  Isn't she a cutie?

Did any of you wear glasses as a child?  I got mine in 6th grade and Jonathan got his in elementary school.  I dread forking out $200 every couple of years for our kids but I think it's a fact of life that I'll have to get used to.


5 comments:

Lauren said...

she looks so cute! glasses are so much cuter now for kids! love the pink ones!

Anna Ruth said...

Oh, she looks so grown up in the glasses! She does look adorable.

merritt said...

I agree - she looks more mature than just 4 years old. Absolutely precious!

dancing_lemur said...

Very cute! I got glasses in the 3rd grade and have worn contact lenses since the 6th grade.

BTW, in terms of buying glasses, don't forget W-S Industries for the Blind. We have an optical dispensary that's open to the public and has great prices!

Mama Bee said...

I got glasses when I was 2 years old... wore them until I was in high school when I finally decided to be brave enough to try contacts :)

She looks adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin