Monday, June 3, 2013

a letter for the end of the year



Dear Julianna,

You're about to finish your first grade school year and for whatever reason I can't get that off my mind.  I wanted to take just a minute to let you know what I've been thinking about since we've hardly have the time to "really talk" when we're at home lately. 

I'm amazed at the good things that have happened to you this year. 

You were recognized by your teacher because you can do all of the basic addition facts in three seconds or less.  You tried and worked hard at basketball for the first time.  You sometimes read a chapter book with over a hundred pages in one evening.  You ran three miles straight for the first time just the other day and this past weekend you completed in a scary (but FUN) Mud Run obstacle race.  Your classmates often want you on their team when they're playing trivia classroom games because you seem to know a lot of the answers.

There's also been some... I don't want to say bad, but rather, frustrating things that have happened to you this year.  You've reached out for attention in unusual ways over the past several months.  There's nothing wrong with that at all.  It's completely normal for a seven year old to be experimenting with new and different ways to get attention and it's no wonder that you have with all the attention-getting your brother does around our house. 



I'm really, really, really working on walking away when I feel my temper get out of control because of something you've said or done.  I don't always succeed in cooling off before I yell, but I'm trying.  I need your help too.  We both need to slow down and concentrate on being more patient and especially on being kinder to one another.

I don't want to dwell on the things that have happened but I do want to make sure that I express clearly and adequately that your Dad and I love you very much and we want to give you everything you need.  It's impossible for us to give you everything you want and I'm sorry that we haven't given you all the attention you've wanted this year. 



But we will go to great lengths to give you what you need.  If that means more time rough-housing with you so be it.  If that means more reading together then by all means let's go to the library.  If that means more joke telling and more movie watching together then I'm game.  Your dad and I will climb mountains to give you what you need. 

We love you, Doodlebug.  I know we say it all the time, but I hope you really hear it: We're so stinkin' proud of you.  No matter how frustrating life gets, we'll always be thrilled you're our daughter.
 
Love,
Mama





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Both of you make an old man happy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin