Thursday, January 19, 2012

the underside of joy

source


I cranked out my most recent book in three days. I had Monday off for the MLK Jr holiday and I spent most of the day reading despite the massive pile of school work I should have been doing. It was one of those books I couldn't put down.

The Underside of Joy tells the story of Ella (a name I am quite partial to coincidentally), a woman unable to have children of her own, and her second husband Joe plus his two small children from his first marriage. From the very beginning of the novel (as in within the first two chapters) there is a twist that grabs your attention and keeps you wanting to know how the story ends.

I love these kinds of stories. Mostly I love them because I like to try and guess what happens along the way. There are plenty of chances to do that while reading Ella and Joe’s story.

While I can’t relate to the infertility issues or the conflicts often brought about by second-marriage situations, I can certainly relate to loving your family with your whole heart and that’s what this book is really about.

This book was just released this week so I doubt you’ve read it, but if you like sweet stories of family and love you should. If you’d like to read more about the book, come join the conversation at Blog Her’s Book Club page.

*I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Amy Ellen said...

Hey, I am partial to the name Ella, too. It is funny, do you know how many 4 to 5 month old babies we have meet recently that are named Ella? 3 and that doesn't include our little Ella. This book sounds good, if I can find time, I think I will read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin