Tuesday, April 26, 2011

the Dash meets the Clydesdales

The Budweiser Clydesdale horses visited Winston-Salem last week and we had the privilege of getting to see the big beautiful creatures.  I'm not really a huge horse fan; I really never have been but that one ride I took in Colorado where my horse kept straying from the path to scratch his belly on small bushes and trees just seemed to seal the deal for me.  Remember, I'm a control freak and I couldn't seem to figure out how to lead that horse.  Anyway, these horses were enormous and beautiful. 





As is becoming typical for my five year old daughter, Julianna decided just before we were to leave that she really didn't want to go.  I had to cajole her into going with me and I just knew she was going to be a pain in the you-know-what when we got there just to make a point.  Fortunately, she surprised me and the promise that she could use my phone to take pictures was all she needed.  All that is to say, sorry that some of them have crappy picture quality.






When we got there we got a good spot on the sidewalk right beside the wagon.  The horse trailers were out there but the horses were not out yet.  The Budweiser guys brought them out one by one and attached them to the harnesses on the wagon.









They were HUGE.  There was this one guy who was at least 6' 3" stood beside them a couple of times and I was amazed at how far he came up beside of one of the horses.



The Clydesdales had little roses buds and ribbons on their mane and red scrunchy-type bows fitted around their tails.  We even got to see the Budweiser dog which was a big hit with the crowd.








When all eight horses were attached to the harnesses and ready to begin pulling the wagon for the parade, they started playing music.  I think it was a new Budweiser jingle or something like that.  The horses started stamping their feet somewhat in unison, almost as if they were doing a little dnace to start it off.  Then they all started walking and pulling the wagon through downtown for the parade.

It was a fun little event for our city and I'm glad I got to see it.















Edited to add: Here's a link to some much better pictures than ours.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin