Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Run for Boston

Last night our local Fleet Feet store put on an event called Run for Boston to demonstrate support for those that were affected by the tragic events in Boston one week ago.  It was a community event and it took place on the Salem Creek Greenway.  Over 800 people participated in either the 1 mile, 3 mile or 5 mile run/walk.  It was even written up in the Winston-Salem Journal.

I knew ahead of time that Jonathan couldn't go with us because he had a meeting at church at the same time.  I talked with Jules about the events in Boston by reading her this story and then I tried to prepare her for running with me.  She really didn't want to do it, but I think talking with her about the Boston Marathon victims helped.  Plus we had some friends coming with us and she ended up saying she would at least run one mile with them.



I planned to take Josh in the stroller and hoped she could run with me for a minimum or one mile.  My training plan for the day said to do 3 miles so I was going to cross my fingers for 2 and hope that Julianna would last.



There was quite a crowd gathered when we arrived and the owner of FF called all of the runner's who participated in the Boston Marathon this year to the front to be honored.  He then read Romans 12 before we started and we sang the national anthem.



They let the participants out of the gate in waves according to their estimated paces and there were two different routes based on the mileage you wanted to run.  Plenty of volunteers helped the crowds know where to go.  We took off to the right for the 1 and 2 mile routes.

In the end it really worked out better than I could have ever hoped.  Josh rode comfortably without complaining much at all and Julianna ran a full two miles, even running way ahead of me at the end.  She blows my mind over and over again.



My mom and dad and sister all ran as well and a couple of our friends came with us.  Of course, there were plenty of running friends that we saw there too.



The most important thing was that around the country people showed support for the devastation that ocurred in Boston last week.  This particular event was well-organized and planned out beautifully, something I've come to love and expect from any FF sponsored event.  It made me so proud to be a part of such an amazing community.

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Romans 12:15




What have you done to show your support for Boston?



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin